[gothic-l] Name of the Semnones

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 5 19:35:41 UTC 2000

>Frank,
>
>There exist several etymologies for Semnones:

Hey, thanks.

>Ther can in my humble opinion be no connection
>to the Suiones. There are even doubts that Suiones
>refer to the Svear. It seems odd that Tacitus
>can provide so many details on a people like
>the Svear livin so fare from the limes.

Actually, I was just trying to use the word "Suiones" as an example for the
way Tacitus Latinized the names, i.e. "-ones" as the weak ending, equivalent
to "-an" (as another post pointed out), though becoming the "-r" in Old
Norse.

As far as the case of the Suiones, isn't it possible that this was a group
that had a name similar to the Svear?  I've seen countless attempts at a
geographical reconstruction of the locations of Tacitus' tribes, but they're
all based on modern ideas of cartography and don't seem to take classical
geography into account--in other words, we don't really know who he was
talking about where. . .

Cheers,
Frank

http://profiles.msn.com.