[gothic-l] Name of the Semnones

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 5 21:51:04 UTC 2000

>Tacitus does not use "Suiones" for the Swedes or Svear.
>
>That is a Swedish construction in the Middle ages.

By that do you mean that Medieval Swedes looked back on Tacitus,found his
mention of the Suiones, and said, "That's us!"?  Or am I misinterpreting
you?

>Tacitus talks about the people on the island in the Baltic. He uses
> >Plinius who wrote about a Roman businessman who during the time of >Nero
>visited the largest trading places along the Baltic Sea. In >Gotland there
>are several important trading places from that time. >What later became the
>country of Svear (see The Origin of Svear and >their arrival into Lake
>Mälar Area in the 6th century ISBN 91-972306-8->5) was at that time partly
>below water.

That makes sense (to me, at least).  In _Rome and the Enemy_ (S. P. Mattern)
the methods by which Roman authors like Tacitus may have gained their
information are examined (kinda briefly for me, but . . .)and merchants are
among the most important, next to military expeditions.

>>On the Kylver stone from Stånga Gotland 4th century with the full >runic
>>alphabeth is also the word "sueus"

And that helps my original question.

So "*simnan" might be a possibility, but with the strong ending, and a weak
ending (like "Seues") may be "*simnos" or something similar?

Thanks 'n' cheers
Frank

http://profiles.msn.com.

eGroups eLerts