[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Mon Nov 6 11:03:32 UTC 2000

> every discipline must have an object of research. Historians study
> written documents. No documents - no history, nothing much to do for a
>  historian. Can, in your view, a historian research the history of the
> Neandertals? Let me answer that for you: No, he/she can't, not because
> it is so far back in time, but because there are no written documents.
>  The same applies to any period which is 'pre-history'.

This seems to me a fairly narrow definition of "historian."  Historians
study many things besides written documents, e.g. coins, grave goods, art,
etc.  I especially think excluding archaeology from the field of history
would find little favor with historians, whether the period is modern,
medieval, or before written documents are preserved.  It doesn't mean there
aren't historians who study only written documents, but confining the term
to them seems overly limiting.

Philip Rusche
(who isn't a historian either)

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.