[gothic-l] first person &runes + Scandinavia

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Nov 6 11:44:11 UTC 2000

Anthony,

Of course, but that does not mean that
the inscriptions beginning with "I"
are not a novelty.

Scandinavia, in my humble opinion, comes
from the name of the province Scania.
The is based on "skada" (injury) and
refers to the dangerous sandbanks (still
there) of the southwesterly tip of
Scania (Falsterbo rev). The small town
of Skanoer on the peninsula there reminds
of the origin of the name Scandinavia.
In addition "-oer" means sandbank also
to be found in the name of Elsinore in Danish
(Helsingoer).

Professor Svennung of Uppsala has written a book
on the origin of the name Scandinavia. Alas, it
is published in German but there is an English
summary. If you go to the archives, I have written
earlier on this.

Scandinavially

Bertil