[gothic-l] Re: first person &runes + Scandinavia

Matthew Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Tue Nov 7 09:43:23 UTC 2000

Hails!

Attempts to link Scandinavia and Scania may be misguided. Koebler
suggests the name Gothiscandza < Gutiskandja, i.e. the ends or confines
of the regions of the Gothic people. If this is so, then Scandinavia
(of its own origin) would have been corrupted and conflated with
Gothiscandza in the form of Scandia/Scandza. However unlikely, the
linguistic reconstruction is truly intriguing.

Matþaius

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> Of course, but that does not mean that
> the inscriptions beginning with "I"
> are not a novelty.
>
> Scandinavia, in my humble opinion, comes
> from the name of the province Scania.
> The is based on "skada" (injury) and
> refers to the dangerous sandbanks (still
> there) of the southwesterly tip of
> Scania (Falsterbo rev). The small town
> of Skanoer on the peninsula there reminds
> of the origin of the name Scandinavia.
> In addition "-oer" means sandbank also
> to be found in the name of Elsinore in Danish
> (Helsingoer).

> Professor Svennung of Uppsala has written a book
> on the origin of the name Scandinavia. Alas, it
> is published in German but there is an English
> summary. If you go to the archives, I have written
> earlier on this.
>
> Scandinavially
>
> Bertil
>
> > There are Germanic inscriptions where the author uses the 3rd person. e=
.g. I
> > read about one (I think) "Boso rist runar" = "Boso carved the runes".
> >
> > I read that the name "Scandinavia" comes from a Roman source and that t=
he
> > parrt {-avia} is the Common Germanic ror "island". Where else in German=
icdom
> > does the name or word "skand-" occur, and with what meaning?

eLerts