[gothic-l] The meaning of "Wolfilas"

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 7 21:51:54 UTC 2000

Ulphilas presumably represents Gothic Wulfila, which would mean "Little
Wolf." I don't knwo what the significance of the name is, but the story you
tell sounds like one of those things that a neo-pagan WOULD make up. It's
possible, but I surely doubt that we KNOW this.
    Anyway, my guess would be that it's a hypochoristic of some name that
begins with a Wulfa- element.

IUSTEINUS

<<Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell what the name Wolfilas/Wulfilas
means. This one guy that I was talking to told me that it comes from
Gothic mythology (I honestly don't know if there such a thing), that
it means "son of a wolf", and that it was a name given to describe
certain gothic warriors who believed they could turn into wolves -
I'm guessing sort of the gothic version of the viking berzerkers.
This all sounded a bit too fantastic for me, especially since many of
these neo-pagan types have a tendency to exagerate and make things
up, so I'll ask you - the experts.

Carl>>

eGroups eLerts