[gothic-l] Re: The Praeneste fibula

Padraic Brown pbrown at POLARIS.UMUC.EDU
Wed Nov 8 14:00:25 UTC 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Anthony Appleyard wrote:

>  Padraic Brown <pbrown at polaris.umuc.edu> wrote:-
>> The philological suspicion seems to be the reduplicated perfect of
>> facere.
>
>Praeneste is not Rome, and Praeneste Latin had dialect differences from Roman
>Latin, same as there were dialects in Ancient Greek. E.g. a Roman author
>described one Praeneste dialect verb:-

Just to be clear, I never said they were of the same dialect. Only
that this particular element was a little red flag that got waved in
someone's face. It would be like if every word ever written in English
were to disappear by 3 thousand years from now except for some modern
romances and technical writings. And then someone finds a scrap of
poetry with the words "...wilt thou marry me?" AH! There's a verb form
no one knows about - is it real, is it fake, is it real but archaic?
Perhaps it's from a non standard dialect other than the Good English
found in the late 20th cen. tech manuals and romances?

>> ... The fh seems strange to me, though, ...
>
>The Roman alphabet is derived from the Greek alphabet. "F" was derived from
>the Greek digamma and originally was pronounced "w". Then they wrote "f" as
>"wh", because there was no letter for the "f" sound before, and that started
>Romans etc at using digamma for the "f" sound.

Thanks.

Padraic.