[gothic-l] " Alien Sex Fiend"

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Nov 13 16:39:39 UTC 2000

greg scaff wrote:

> Hails allaim,
>    I have been offline for some time.  With  due respect to all,
> and no offense to anyone, in reading the  back posts I must state
> that I am peeved.  I see that a thread regarding the origin of the
> word "scandinavia", (a word not of Gothic origin , thus more or less
> irrelevant to this list ) went on for some time. Also, another
> thread, the Ashkenaz/Scythian one , which for the life of me I can't
> see why it is on this list at all-call me stupid- went on, and on.
> I  found these two threads mildly interesting, but what peeves me is
> that I see that last Nov.,  Iosef started to discuss- in thread 1155-
> Neo-Gothic names for mythological beings, and  this thread was
> squelched! By several people-I don't wish to name names, but
> ironically,one person  who has been highly productive in writing
> neologisms, asked in thread 1190  " if this word  has to be
> gothicized at all costs..." regarding the word "nosferatu" that
> Iosef  was trying to understand the possible Romanian background for
> in order to create a neologism . "IF this word HAS to be gothicized
> at ALL costs???!!!

I think it was me who wrote this thing, more than one year ago. But I did not have in mind to offend anybody, just
did not see the necessity to gothicize words like "nosferatu". This word, for instance, became an international word,
and almost all languages, I think, keep it like that. So maybe it could be taken also in Neo-Gothic without change...
just "nosferatu".

Francisc

>      As someone who loves words-and Gothic- I think  EVERY word -
> from "polystyrene" to "fuck" to "Nosferatu" is appropriate for
> linguistic discussion and gothicization.  Every word is valid.
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> I think Iosef is owed an apology;he actually was discussing something
> relevant to this list...   Thank You ,Greg Scaff

eLerts