[gothic-l] "Nosferatu- alien s.f."

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Mon Nov 13 21:57:16 UTC 2000

I had read that it could also be translated living dead. There is an
excellent work of fiction by the same name. I think that Bram Stoker got one
of his ideas of Dracula from that.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Carver" <matt at invisionstudiosinc.com>
To: <gothic-l at egroups.com>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] "Nosferatu- alien s.f."

on 11/13/00 10:42 AM, greg scaff at gregscaff at usa.net wrote:

> Hails allaim,
> Francisc, clearly I misinterpreted you, and I apologise.  You
> make the excellent point that "nosferatu" is an international word-
> why translate it into Neo-Gothic?  But do we want to incorporate it
> wholesale, or gothicise the spelling?  Or is their  in fact some
> Gothic cognate that might be satisfactory?  Linguists?
> Greg

Wulfila might have retained the foreign word with a few changes, say perhaps
by making it fit into the -u (neuter?) declension: nosfairatu or nausfairatu
(not sure whether the first vowel is long or short). Another way calls for
knowing the exact literal meaning and translating that. I've heard "undead"
or "not-breathing" but was wondering if anyone actually knew what it meant.
This same proces could of course go for any other neologism. The third way
is to take an existing word and extend its domain of meaning, or by
combining it with another Gothic word or affix not necessarily in the same
way as the word being translated.

-Matþaius

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

eLerts