[gothic-l] Re: Hyskos, Scythians, and Scots

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Tue Nov 14 12:16:22 UTC 2000

The Sea Peoples may have some interest here as a wonderful
parallell, in my humble opinion, to the germanic migrations
1500 years later.
First, let's place them correctly in time.

>   "John Presco" <jrose at efn.org> wrote:-
> > Graves says on page 238 of the WG "At the end of the third millenium
> > B.C., and Indo-European tribal confederacy - part of a huge horde
> > from central Asia ...

Anthony Appleyard replied:
> This refers to the Sea Peoples.

 No, the Sea Peoples appeared a millennium later, or more
precisely between 1250 and 1150 BCE (fought off by Ramesses
III in the first naval battle 1186). They were to the
superpower of Egypt of those times what the germanic tribes
were to be to the Romans later.

 Nancy Sandars, who studies under Professor Gordon Childe in
University of London and later in Oxford, wrote the ultimate
work on the subject in 1978 and I was fortunate to aquire
one copy. I quote from the jacket:

- An epoch of prosperity and relative stability in the East
Mediterranean came to an abrupt end. The following years saw
the collapse of Egyptian influence, the total ruin of the
Hittite Empire in Anatolia, widespread destruction of cities
throughout the Levant and, in the Aegean, the end of the
Mycenean civilization. A Dark Age intervened that in the
case of Greece and Anatolia (Turkey) lasted for more than
300 years.
[..] To-day archeologists and scholars of ancient history
put much of the blame on warlike bands known to the
Egyptians as the 'Sea Peoples': "..their league was
Shardana, Peleset, Tjeker, Shekelesh, Denyen..".
[..] The controversial role of the northern barbarians, the
fall of Troy and the extent to which the Sea Peoples, rather
than economic and environmental factors, caused the downfall
of Late Bronze Age civilization are just some of the many
intriguing questions discussed [..] -

Litt.: Sandars N. K. The Sea Peoples
Warriors of the ancient Mediterranean, 1250-1150 BC.
Thames and Hudson, New York 1978.

Seigmund

eGroups eLerts