[gothic-l] James Marchand

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Tue Nov 14 19:24:50 UTC 2000

bertil wrote:

> The other day I found in my archive
> an article from Time magazine of 1991
> on James Marchand. Is or was he well known
> in Gothic language circles. He had invented
> a way to scrutinize documents reused by
> Italian monks to find underlying Gothic
> words. One of his discoveries of new Gothic
> words was hors, meaning pimp, believe it or not.

Jim Marchand was a mainstay of the Medtext-l
mailing list when I was subscribed back in 1992-93.
I assume he is still active there and I remember he
discussed Gothic, amongst many other things, very
often.  He is a very impressive scholar with an
encyclopaedic knowledge of the early medieval period.
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eLerts