R: [gothic-l] "Nosferatu- alien s.f."

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Wed Nov 15 09:09:15 UTC 2000

Hails!

Well, Iosef, you was almost right.
The Romanian word is "nesuferitul" = "the unbearable, the untolerable"
which is derived form "suferit" - the past participle of the verb
"suferi" = "to undergo, to endure, to suffer, to tolerate" (< Vulg.
Lat. *sufferire < Lat. sufferre) with the negative prefix "ne-" and
the postponed definite article.
I think that your proposal, *Nosfairatula, is a good idea.

Fragkisks

GUTANI WIHAILAG

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Giuseppe Pagliarulo" <g.pagliarulo at t...>
wrote:
> Hails allaim!
> Ok, since we're working at a thread which had me and Iusteinus as
its
> most engaged contributors I think I should jump in the discussion.
> BTW, it all started as a sort of Halloween joke, if I remember well,
> and I want to point out that I obviously blame nobody if it didn't
> gain the expected success.
> As I recently found out, there's another possible analysis of
> nosferatu(l) as derived from Romanian nesuferatul "the one who is
not
> tolerated" (Fragkisk, please correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe Go
> *unbairans or *untulaiths would be a good start for a calque.
> I don't know if a direct loan should take the neuter u-declension;
the
> rendering I would favor is *Nausfairatula, the -ula ending being due
> to adaptation/misunderstanding of the Romanian postponed article.
>
> Gawairthi izwis,
>
> Iosef Strawarila
>                                Iþ gamain mis ist,
>   hvaþro afleiþau; jainaþ auk aftra qima. (Parmainides)

eLerts