[gothic-l] Polish Views On the Goths - Prussians?

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 17 20:21:15 UTC 2000

Dirk,

Yes, but on the other hand there is the standpoint of
offered in _Schaetze der Ostgoten_:

"Seit laengerer Zeit verbinden die Archaelogen
eindeutig die Wielbark-Kultur mit den Goten."

During the first century AD that culture stretched from Middle and
East Pomerania to the Vistula mouth and eastwards
to the Kulm heights. About 80 AD the Wielbark people
moved to Middle- and Southern Pomerania moving away
the representatives of the Przeworsk culture to further
south and soon occupied new territory between Warthe,
Obra and Notec. In the east the Esti were forced back.

Wolagiewicz has three periods of the Wielbark culture:

1. It is closely associated with the Weneden and Rugi.

2. Then came the Goths and Gepids from Scandinavia.

3. The Goths migrate to the southeast and the Black Sea
leaving the area.

W. is supported by German scholar Volker Bierbrauer.

I have not seem any claims of Prussian connection. When
exactly would that be in the timeframe of settlement and
the Wielbark culture?

Germanically

Bertil

What do you
> think about the proposition of merging of Gothic-germanic traditions
> and Baltic traditions to form the (Old) Prussians (Prussi). I spend a
> lot of time in today's Kaliningrad (Koenigsberg) former East Prussia,
> where archaeologists told me a similar story based on their
> excavations of Prussian grave sites. At the time I could not really
> make much sense of it, but the article by Urbanczyk seems to indicate
> that this is the view of local archaeologists and historians.

eGroups eLerts