[gothic-l] A Vandal language list (rather long)

Frank Kermes gevurah at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 17 21:55:21 UTC 2000

Hey, thanks for all the advice and replies from all.

Of course, my suggestion _was_ rather self-serving, since compiling a list
of linguistic remnants from the languages that are not otherwise attested is
a project I'd probably do anyway.  Kind of an underhanded, left field way of
asking for help ;)

Dirk, thanks for the _nom et gens_ site, and Bertil, thanks for the Vandal
name list.  I think I'll start breaking some of the names down into their
nymic elements for comparative purposes tonight (yay!  Friday night
excitement!)

I think I've got most of my major sources gathered.  I might be popping up
periodically asking for other opinions on reconstructions of some of the
Latin forms of the names . . .

Oh, yeah, I just thought of this: the Burgundian word "hendinos" for ruler.
Considering the phonological characteristics of /h/, how likely does it seem
that this is the same word as Gothic "kindins," for leader of a
kin-group/clan?  That is, /h/ and /k/ being largely interchangeable and the
fact that vocalic shifts might account for shifts in preceding consonant (or
the other way round)?

Cheers,
Frank

http://profiles.msn.com.