[gothic-l] Gothic words in Spanish

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Nov 20 10:19:31 UTC 2000

  "Fri=FEunan=FEs Alatheus Jimenez" <jimenezf at alpha.montclair.edu> wrote:-
> THAHSUS Tahsus >>Dach<< (eng. trans. roof; shelter, cover; house); sp.=20
> Casas.  Nuestras casas tienen muchas ventanas.=20

  {th} -> "c" (in {thahsus} -> "casa") seems to me not to be valid. I thought
that Spanish {casa} = "house", French {chez} = "at/in the house of", came from
Latin. The word was in French or its ancestor soon enough to be affected by
softening of C and G before front wowels, a change that did not happen within
French but had already happened in the Vulgar Latin that the Gauls learned off
Roman legionaries and officials etc. I read that this softening, and the
common change of Latin short I and U to close E and O, are features of an Osco-
Umbrian accent that pervaded all Latinity as the peoples of Italy mixed under
the Roman Empire.

eGroups eLerts