[gothic-l] Was the Heruli a little tribe?

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Mon Nov 20 13:00:48 UTC 2000

Bengt,

In answer to your question I can only
state my personal view. We had an extensive
Eruli discussion not so long ago on this list.
You could check the archives. This is a Gothic
list so maybe you should consider the Germanic
list for early Germanic history, where this
would be an interesting subject.

The Eruli migrated from Denmark (possibly
Zealand). They formed their own kingdom
in the Balkan area, some moved to Italy other
remigrated to south Scandinavia and settled
close to the Gauti (the Goths). Eruli legionaries
also fought on the eastern front for the Roman
empire.

Some scholars claim that the Eruli was just a band
of warriors composed like a modern soccer team.
Personally I don't believe that. Just look at
the extensive activity of the Eruli with the Goths
in the Black Sea and the eastern Mediterranean,
where they raided with the Goths in the 3rd Century
AD (in reality pre-Vikings). There is still the Eruli Wall in Athens, erected to stop the onslaught. I have copy of a photo in my archives. Will return to the Wall later.

Erulically

Bertil

> My simple question to this Forum is "How big area furnished these
> voluntary soldiers? It cannot be just a little tribe.

Receive 500 minutes of Personal Conferencing FREE.
Go to Sprintbiz.com.