[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards on Gotland

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Nov 21 08:03:49 UTC 2000

> Saxo Grammaticus who wrote "The History of the Danes" around
> 1200, was already familiar with "The History of the Langobards"
> and mentions Paulus Diaconus by name. He identifies the island
> on which the Langobards used to live, while they still called
> themselves "Winniles", as Gotland. (see "The History of the Danes"
> by Saxo Grammaticus, Book IIX)

> Keth

Hi Keth,

I reported about excavations of a large and undisturbed langobardic
cemetary in Germany on the Germanic list. I have just read a synopsis
of an excavation report, which states that the Uelzen cemetary (2000+
graves just as the larger Luechow cemetary (4000+ graves) were in
constant use from about 350BC to 500AD and give no indication of an
inmigration during this time on a notable scale, but support the view
that many Langobards stayed behind in that area and melted with the
Saxons from the 2nd century onwards. Also, the Uelzen area which is
seen as the centre of the Langobards (still called Langobarden gau in
the 12th century) in the 1st and 2nd century AD was one of the most
densely populated areas in northern Europe since neolithic times and
thus highly unsuitable to receive migrators.