[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Nov 21 09:32:09 UTC 2000

Bertil,

it is possible that a small Langobardic group maybe a royal clan came
to the main Langobardic settlement area in North Germany from
Scandinavia. The archaelogical evidence cannot prove or disprove
this.  However, it must be borne in mind that the Langobard's
historical account was influenced by that of the Ostrogoth who they
may have seen as examples. The Langobardic history was written some
700 to 800 years after the supposed migration from Scadanan. Stories
about Atlantis and other mythical places have been made up in a
shorter period of time. Also, the Franks said that they
originated in Greece and that Primamos of Troy was their first
king. The Burgundians thought they are the decendants of Romans
etc. Tacitus places the Langobards to the  North German area
where their history must begin, anything else must be treated with
suspicion especialy as there is no archaeology to support it. But
this discussion belongs to the Germanic list.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> What about the testimony of the Langobards
> themselves. They could have chosen a much
> more glorious past but believed themselves
> that they originated in Scania/Scandza. Just
> as in the case of Jordanes I think that the
> ancient histories are the primary sources.
>
> Most historians treating the question of the
> origin of the Langobards agree to a Scanian
> homeland.
>
> Langobardically
>
> Bertil
>

> Also, the Uelzen area which is
> > seen as the centre of the Langobards (still called Langobarden
gau
in