[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards on Gotland

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 22 08:15:22 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, keth at o... wrote:

Hello Keth,

> What list is that?

It's the Germanic history list, where this discussion belongs to.

I am on too many lists already, and I think
> too much diversification tends to scatter the resources.

I totally agree!

> Could you give the address of that list one more time?

Try:

http://www.egroups.com/group/Germanic-L

> btw does Menghin mention Welzen?

I don't know if Wolfgang Menghin mentioned Uelzen. If he wrote about
he Langobards in North Germany recently he certainly would have. More
famous are the Langobardic cemetries near Luechow-Dannenberg and along
the southern banks of the Elbe river.

 What is more, he adds the
> information that the Baltic island they used to
> live on was Gotland. That, I thought was an interesting
> piece of information!

Yes I agree. And it does not  contradict the archaeology which I
reported earlier either provided that this migration group of early
Langobards was quite small. In general, different sources have to be
considered including archaeology, especially as we never know what
people remembered about their origin after some 700 years have passed.
As I said earlier, if we  would only rely on the tribal histories we
would have to believe that the Franks came from Troy and that the
Burgundians are decended from Romans. In all likelyhood we will never
know the truth.

eGroups eLerts