[gothic-l] Re: Halirunnae in Getica

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 4 15:00:29 UTC 2000

I could swear that while we did not come to a consensus on this topic, it did
come up agvain after the post to which you (Gendler) refer, and at least
someone suggested the same answer as you (Fragkisk).
    Note that the word IS found in Koebler, and I did look it up, though as I
recall I could not decypher his explanation of the first element. Mat aius,
can you help us with this?

-Ïusteinus

<<I think that haliu- may be in fact halja "hell"

Thus: halja-runa "hell's whisperer" or something like this.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "B. Gendler" <gendler at i...> wrote:

>           Hello Folks,

>   Back in message 746 in the archives, Ïusteinus asked about the

word

> Halirunnae. This word appears in Jordanes The Getica, where he says

it is a

> Gothic word for "witch." Nobody responded, so I am going to make

some

> comments and ask some questions. First off, we know that this word

probably

> has some basis in Gothic. We can assume this because of the

component

> "Rune," which fits the context. This word should be familiar to us

as the

> name of the characters of the early Germanic script, but it was

also

used in

> connection with magic, mystery, conspiracy and witchcraft. A few

examples

> follow...

>    Archaic English:

> Roun(d) = to Whisper.

>    Anglo-Saxon:

> Run = Mystery, Secrecy, Secret; Council, Consultation; Runic

Character.

> Runcræftig = Skilled in Mysteries.

> Reonian = to Conspire, Plot.

> Reonung = Whispering, Conspiracy, Plot.

> Runian = to Whisper, Murmur, Talk Secrets, Conspire.

>    Old Saxon:

> Runa = Secret Plan.

> Runon = to Whisper.

>    Faeroese:

> Run = Runic Character; Witchcraft

> Runa = to Practise Witchcraft.

> Runabinda = to Place a Spell Upon.

>    Old Norse:

> Run(ar) = Secrets, Mysteries, Charms; Runic Character.

> Runa = Whisperer.

>    Norwegian:

> Rune = to Cast Charms and Spells; Engage in Secret Arts; Bewitch,

Charm.

> Runekall = Sorcerer, Magician.

>    New High German:

> Raunen = to Whisper.

>    Old High German:

> Runa = Secret Plan.

> Giruni = Secret, Mystery.

> Runen = to Whisper Secretly.

>    And finally... Gothic:

> Runa = Secret; Secret Plan; Secret Planning, Secret Council; Secret

Motive,

> Hidden Motivation.

>      (For a more complete list, check out my etymological studies,

> particularly http://www.panikon.com/phurba/r/rune.html The work

posted there

> is just the beginning of my work and I welcome comments and

contributions,

> in private e-mail correspondance, of course (gendler at p...). BTW,

only

> some of the non-commercial parts of the site are up, most of it,

including

> all of the commercial parts, are not up yet, give us time.)

>     Now, for the questions, What is the "haliur" part. I first

thought it

> connected to the root for "holy," but this doesn't seem to make

sense. First

> off, a witch can only be "holy" in pagan times, at best, but the

root "holy"

> seems to have only come into parlance with the meaning "holy" in

Christian

> times. It could be the same root in the meaning of "heal" or

"healthy." This

> would be a rather positive outlook on "witches," as people who

practiced

> "healing magic," but that somehow doesn't flow with the

presentation

of

> Jordanes. Jordanes makes them out to be evil. Then again, Jordanes

was a

> Christian, wasn't he?

>     Now, given all this, would anybody like to take a stab at

reconstructing

> the original Gothic form of the word or make any comments on its

possible

> meaning? Any help would be appreciated.

>             Thanks in advance, Gendler.

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
<gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

sentto-1020598-537-970665225-jdm314=aol.com at returns.onelist.com