[gothic-l] Haliurunnas = Haljoruna ?

M. mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Wed Oct 4 22:21:30 UTC 2000

Hails

subject (GW p. 257):

"hal-jo'-ru'-n-a* 1?, got., st. F.(o') nhd. Hexe, Zauberweib; ne. witch,
magician (F.); lat. maga mulier; I.: Lues. ? lat. maga mulier; Q.: Jordanes
XXIV (S.89 Zeile 11), (6. Jh.); E.:germ. *haljo', st. F., Ho:lle; *ru'no',
F., Raunen, Beratung, Geheimnis, Rune; vgl. idg. *kel- (4), V., bergen,
verhu:llen, Pk 553; B.: magas mulieres quas patrio sermone haliurunnas is
ipse cognominat Jordanes XXIV S. 89, 11"

in a separate entry, ru'na F(o') has the meaning "secret, secret plan,
secret council, secret consultation, secret counsel, mystery".

Matþaius

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.