[gothic-l] Halirunnae in Getica?

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 4 23:32:54 UTC 2000

In a message dated 10/4/00 2:37:15 PM, Bairhtila wrote:

<<It would be valuable with an identification

where in Getica the word halirunnae is used.>>

It's at the beginning of book XXIV, in relation to the origin of the Hunns:

" ... nam hos, ut refert antiquitas, ita extitisse conperimus, Filimer rex
Gothorum et Gadarici magni filius qui post egressu Scandzae insulae iam
quinto loco tenens principatum Getarum, qui et terras Scythicas cum sua gente
introisse superius a nobis dictum est, repperit in populo suo quasdam magas
mulieres, quas patrio sermone Haliurunnas is ipse cognominat, easque habens
suspectas de medio sui proturbat longeque ab exercitu suo fugatas in
solitudinem coegit errare. "

(Text can be found at
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/fld/CLASSICS/iordanes.html )

Gendler (Gandlareis?) wrote:

<< I keyword searched the archives and found nothing of substance on it. >>

Try searching under the keyword "witch"
    Note especially http://www.egroups.com/message/gothic-l/2605 , which had
(somehow) escaped even my notice. This should save us from retreading
territory alright!

<< Sorry

if I am re-treading territory. I am sure that I am about to re-tread

territory again, but who is Koebler? What is the reference of which you

speak? >>

Koebler, Gerhard _Really Damn Big Gothic Dictionary That You Really Wish You
Owned._ This book has EVERYTHING! He tries to reconstruct every Gothic word
mentioned in classical sources too.

IUSTEINUS

Tellme Sports. Tellme Stocks. Tellme News. Just Tellme.
Call 1-800-555-TELL and hear everything. For info visit: