SV: [gothic-l] Your opinions on this site...

M. mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Thu Oct 5 20:42:59 UTC 2000

on 10/5/00 11:08 AM, jdm314 at aol.com at jdm314 at aol.com wrote:

> According to Koebler's OTHER book, Verzeichnis der Lateinisch-Gotischen
> Entsprechungen der Bibelübersetzung:
>

> mundus: aiws, fairhwus, manaselhs           [note, the xerox quality is quite
> bad here, and I think I screwed up that last word]
>
> orbis: (midjungards)
>
> saeculum: aiws, alds, fairhwus, (libains)
>
> terra: airtha, (dalath), (midjungards), statha

You can search thus backwards in Gotisches Woerterbuch (the greek and latin
usages are listed under the gothic entries), but the popularity of certain
usages is not noted. Using the unbound search, it seems "fairhwus" and
"manaseths" (Justin - your last word) are the most common words for "world"
(kosmos), with approx. equal usage. the first may be used generally, where
the second of course necessarily includes the human context, at least in
theory. perhaps they were truly or well-nigh synonymous. the usage in
genesis 2:1 is different, though, as it is usually translated "the hosts".
Translating from the septuagint presents many problems, since the greek was
so different (hebraized?) in comparison to the later koine. i'm sure i'll
have to go over it a few more times at least. one problem is the usage of
the definite article. the vulgate of course in the minimal extreme, and any
greek or aramaic text the maximal extreme. determining the exact extent of
the definite's usage in Gothic is thus to be done somewhere between, as it
seems not to have followed the koine too closely in such matters.

Matþaius

as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!