[gothic-l] Haliurunnas = Haljoruna ?

B. Gendler gendler at PANIKON.COM
Thu Oct 5 23:11:25 UTC 2000

    I thought I might point out that the hel = "conceal" root survived up to
at least Middle English in the form of hele = "to hide, keep secret." The
word seems to have derived from the Anglo-Saxon helian/helan = "to conceal,
cover, hide." It also survives in such words as "helmet" (= head concealer),
"hole," "hollow" etc.
    I have to say that I think David Salo is on to the right idea, only I am
not so sure, after some thought,  that it neccessarily refers to the
underworld.
   The basic meaning of halja/hel is "the concealed, the hidden"; hence
"the otherworld" (world of departed spirits).  On an etymological basis one
wouldn't suppose any evil connotation necessarily associated with "hel".
But is there any use in actual Germanic literature which _doesn't_ suggest
an evil meaning?  I suppose most uses of the word are post-Christian, in
which case it's picked up the significance of the (Christian use of)
"Hades".  But I'd be interested to know if it ever has a more equivocal
sense.                       <> David Salo
    So what I have gotten out of all this is as follows:
     The word probably meant something to the effect of "One who whispers
secretly," refering to the whispering of spells, invocations, etc. When the
Christians took over and the concept of Hades or the lake of fire came to be
known to them under the "hell" root, the meaning shifted (in the eyes of the
Christians) to "One who communicates with the spirits of Hell."
    Considering that both components of the word (assuming we are correct)
have negative connotations to the Christians, besides their view of pagan
"witches," I would be extremely surprised to see anyone come up with a
useage that did not have "hellish" connotations.
     Again, feel free to argue, I am still open to the "underworld"
possibility, but I don't see why it has to be the netherworld. "Concealed
whisperer" seems much more straightforeward to me.
            Gendler.

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!