SV: [gothic-l] Your opinions on this site...

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 6 15:45:32 UTC 2000

<<>1 in anastodeinai gaskop gu   ana himin jah  o air a.

>2 i  so air a was unsiuna jah ungamanwida jah riqis was ufar

> izai diupi ai jah ahma gudis wagida ufar  aim watnam.

Why ' ANA himin jah  O air a'?

As himins and air a have not been mentioned before the

demonstrative/article is not expected.

Cf. that even in Icelandic we have no article here:

Í upphafi skapadi Gud himin og jörd.

M.Sn.>>

However the Greek (which Ulphilas would have been reading) and the Hebrew
itself DO have articles. As does the English. Since there is (in every day
experience anyway) only one heaven and one earth it's not really confusing if
they are introduced as something we've heard of before.

-IUSTEINUS

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit: