[gothic-l] Crimean review

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Sun Oct 8 16:42:16 UTC 2000

   Contributing to such a list as this one as a new entrant and a non-linguist carries some risks of digging up old
controversies and being met with "we said that, done  that, through with it".
I lack the stamina of going through all posts since this list's inception years ago; I've contended myself with
sample readings. So please excuse.. My  interests are not primarily with linguistics per se but rather ancient
history, archeology and the like, but not in it's content of facts, dates etc, but rather what  can be deduced about
events as processes in the human context. It seems to me that gothic-l is all about digging in north-of-the Alps
linguistic strata; language archeology as it were, plus in it's geographical and historical context, and that suits
me fine. My contribution was going to be about Crimea as through the eyes of Neil Ascherson, a correspondent to The
Observer but mostly a gifted writer with a scholarly approach and background. He has won prestigeous awards, the
British counterpart to the "Pulitzer" etc. One of his most enjoyable books is the award-winning 'Black Sea' from
1995, out of which I have the intention of extracting some of the passages dealing with the history of the Crimean
peninsula.
But not here yet. Please, let me know if I'm trying to beat up paths already travelled!

Seigmund ruskunds

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit: