[gothic-l] The Goths in Poland...

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 10 13:19:13 UTC 2000

Did anybody read the article "The Goths in Poland - Where did they
come from and when did they leave" by Przemyslaw Urbanczyk in
European
 Journal of Archaelogy (Vol. 1, Issue 3, 1 Dec. 1998)?
I only read a short summary, but found the arguments quite
interesting
and would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the article, if
it is worth getting.

The author's argumentation seem to be based on the Wielbark cultur as
a fairly stable group of people in modern North Poland. He regards
the
departure of the Goths to the Black Sea at the end of the 2nd century
as only one episode in the history of the Wielbark culture, where
probably an elite group that represented the 'Gothic identity'
decided
to leave the area, while most people actually stayed behind. Those
people who stayed behind developed a new elite, which later decided
follow the emigrants to the Black Sea. This second group became the
Gepids. The author cites archaelogical evidence to argue that parts
of
the Goths from the Black Sea later moved back to the Baltic Sea and
in
the 9th century 'became more and more Prussian' (i.e. forming the
Baltic tribe of the Prussen).

I have never read this before. So if anybody knows more about this
kind of interpretation, I would be interested to hear about it.

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!