[gothic-l] Re: Gothic "sa"

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 10 17:05:08 UTC 2000

    I should probably publically state that I concede on this issue... if it
appears without article in other places, then it probably should here. I was
thinking that the article probably more or less followed Greek usage, but
this seems to be a bad assumption!
    I of course do not agree with the sweeping statement that "sa" is a
demonstrative and not an article, but I gather that was a deliberate
overstatement, so the point is moot.

-IUSTEINUS

<<{sa}: demonstrative or article?

The Gothic Bible is a translation. With translations, there is a tendency for
translators to import usages and mannerisms from the original language,
particularly if the text is sacred and thus the translator is more than usual
driven to stick close to the original. For example, various Hebrew-isms of
word usage got through from the Hebrew Bible via Greek (Septuagint) and Latin
(Vulgate) to the King James English Bible.

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone.  For more info visit: