[gothic-l] Re: Gothic "sa"

Magnus Hreinn Snaedal hreinn at ISMAL.HI.IS
Wed Oct 11 10:10:36 UTC 2000

If only one label should be chosen for Gothic 'sa' I think it is more
correct to call it a demonstrative than an article. Though 'sa' functions
as an article in some contexts it has not lost its deictic caracter to the
same degree as the article in many european languages. The definate article
was a demonstrative pronoun originally. Perhaps we have in Gothic the
initial stage - the beginning of a developement toward an article.
Look at for example Mt 5:16:
Gothic: attan izwarana þana in himinam
Greek: tòn patéra humôn tòn en toîs ouranoîs
Here, only the second article in Greek (the one with a deictic function) is
represented in Gothic. Also Mt 2:20
Gothic: þize bokarje jah Fareisaie
Greek: tôn grammatéon kaì Farisaíon
Here I think it is possible to use 'those' ore even 'these' in English.

M.Sn.