[gothic-l] Lucky Luke

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Thu Oct 12 20:53:32 UTC 2000

Thank you so much!!

John Frauzel wrote:

> I think these are two coordinated dative absolutes. Sometimes the absolute
> in Gothic is preceded by at (in which case it's not strictly absolute), and
> sometimes not. The Greek text here has two genitive absolutes. Gothic
> dative absolutes always correspond to genitive absolutes in Greek

.. and in the German and other languages I guess. But just _why_ is 'allai managein' and 'allaim' dative if
subjects?? This was what made it so hard to crack. I did recognize the forms as dative but it didn't seem to make
sense.
                                                        (roughly then:)
at wenjandein þan allai managein        And the people went abiding there
jah þagkjandam allaim                       and they all wondered
in hairtam seinaim bi Iohannein,          in their hearts weather Johannes
niu aufto sa wesi Xristus,                   not after all were Messiah.

This is my guesswork in reconstructing the sentences.
The Swedish Lutheran bible (1917 version) reads:

Och folket gick där i förbidan
och alla undrade
i sina hjärtan om Johannes
icke till äventyrs vore Messias.

Simple and transparent.

And, yup, this is Luke 3:15 out of Wulfila.

Seigmund

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Click here and you can even personalize these quotes.