[gothic-l] Reconstructing "Breath"

David Salo dsalo at SOFTHOME.NET
Sun Oct 15 11:04:40 UTC 2000

Matþaius melida:
>We have on the other hand a word for which there is much attesting in WGmc
>languages. Unfortunately, it is usually found with a verb in these languages
>also, i.e. atmen, etc. Neither form is extant in Gothic, but not impossible.

   OHG and OE are not entirely in agreement with regard to the verb form:
OHG has âtumôn suggesting *eþmon; OE has éþian suggesting *eþon. (*âÞon >
*âÞojan > éþian).  The OE form looks more archaic, with the OHG form being
perhaps reformed from the noun.  Perhaps one could say (in pseudo-Gothic)
"eþoda eþm" -- "he/she breathed a breath".

/\     WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
\/            WRAIQS NU IST                               <> David Salo
<dsalo at softhome.net> <>

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.  For more info visit: