[gothic-l] 2Cor cap.13 of Wulfila's Bible

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 27 14:40:36 UTC 2000

<<Are there any other interesting concepts anyone has to share regarding
either the text per se or Wulfila's exegesis or "metatranslations"?
Otherwise each time I need some help, I'll post and ask you to share
your ideas with me.>>

I remember hearing that in the Coptic bible the word for "repentance" was
borrowed from Greek, because the "pagans didn't have that concept." Well, I
doubt that... I've been studying ancient Egyptian lately and I'd be really
surprised if they didn't have a native way to say repentance, and add to that
that Coptic borrow VERY heavily from Greek, even borrowing particles like
men, de, oun, etc.
    Gothic uses "idreiga" for this word. I have no idea what the etymology of
that is though.

eGroups eLerts