[gothic-l] Crimea

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Fri Oct 27 15:43:58 UTC 2000

   sig <sigmund at algonet.se> wrote:-
> The jewish fundamentalist Karaims (not at all related to the converted Khazar jews!)

For those who don't know, the Khazars were a people of steppe horsemen who
converted to Judaism. I know of two peoples who converted to Judaism about
this time: the other was Ethiopia, and there I have heard of a reason for the
conversion: they, or their king and his advisors, heard of Christianity as it
spread, and liked the idea of one God, but didn't like the idea of importing
along with it the various acrimonious doctrinal differences that plagued
Christianity at the time, so they chose Judaism. Later, they re-converted to
Coptic Christianity as those doctrinal differences were sorted out.

Of the various places in Crimea that have been mentioned here, which still
keep those names? In Stalin's time many traditional Crimean placenames were
replaced by such perpetrations as Krasnogvardeysk (= "Red Guard place").

eLerts