[gothic-l] Dialects within Gothic?

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Sun Oct 29 10:21:46 UTC 2000

I have read somewhere that beginning with the 5th or 6th century, there were several phonetic changes that occured in
Gothic (it resulted that in Gothic generally, not in a certain dialect of it) comparing with Wulfula's gothic (4th
century). For instance:
long [e] became long [i] (whence the confusion between "e" and "ei" in the Gothic text of this period of time)
long [o] became (long) [u] (whence spelling dublets like "kaurjos" and "kaurjus")
short [i] became short [e] (attested for instance in Gothic names or words in Latin texts)
likewise, short [u] became short [o].

Fragkisks

GUTANI WIHAILAG

Anthony.Appleyard at umist.ac.uk wrote:

> It is commonly stated that Gothic {triggws} became Spanish {tregua}.
> Not **{trigua}. I know that Classisal Latin short {i} very often
> became close {e} in Romance languages (e.g. Latin {fides} became
> Spanish {fe}); but likeliest that change had stopped by that time, or
> more exactly did not happen in Spain but had already happened in the
> Vulgar Latin that Roman soldiers etc brought to Spain. That being so,
> how likely is it that one branch of the Goths pronounced the word as
> {treggws}?

> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups eLerts