[gothic-l] Textbooks and dictionaries of Gothic

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Mon Oct 30 12:11:06 UTC 2000

>I am sorry to ask what likely many people have asked before, but:
>Please can someone tell me the full info and ISBN number etc of a
>good textbook and dictionary of Gothic, which is in print now? The
>dictionary should be of ALL known Gothic words, not merely those
>words that happen to occur in the book's examples. Is there anywhere
>such a dictionary on the web? And a full list of accepted Gothic
>neologisms?

I am probably not the right person to answer, since I do not have
very much myself. But what I do have (at a 'relatively' reasonable
price) is the 2nd tome of Wilhelm Streitberg's "Gotische Bibel",
that recently came out in a new edition  (=the 6th edition, Universi-
tätsverlag C.Winter, 2000). It is not a very heavy tome -- merely
178 pages -- but the paper appears to be of good quality. It is also
sown together with tread the oldfashioned way, in what appears to be
12mo sections, and so it would presumably last a long time;
especially if provided with a hardcover binding -- which is not provided
as default by the publishers. I do not, however, believe this to be a
"complete" dictionary of _all_ known words of the Gothic language,
since it is apparently only intended to accompany Streitberg's
"Gotische Bibel" (= the 1st tome).

I should also be interested to hear from other listmembers what textbooks,
dictionaries and texts are in print at this time, beside the 2 volumes
I have mentioned above.

Keth

eLerts