[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Oct 30 12:58:41 UTC 2000

I know, Vasiliev himself noted that some of the words have no direct
origin in German/low German or else. So he suggests that the two
Crimeans whom the Flemish ambassador spoke to where either Jews or
Germans, who had lived their for a long time and picked up some
remnants of Crimean Gothic. Note that Tatar raids on East Prussia are
attested since the 14th century until 1657. Often they took many
prisoners as slaves to the Crimea. I am not sure how convincing I find
this explanation. I suppose it is possible that some Crimean Gothic or
 remnants thereof where still spoken in the 16th century.
>From Vasiliev's account however, it becomes clear that this can only
have been in some isolated pockets, perhaps single remote mountain
villages and the language was likely if not extinct, already dying.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "M. Carver" <matt at i...> wrote:
> on 10/30/00 3:36 AM, Anthony.Appleyard at u... at
> Anthony.Appleyard at u... wrote:
>
> > --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> >> I read Vasiliev's book on the Crimean Goths. ... Vasiliev,
> >> however, argues that the Gothic language died out sometime in the
> >> high middle ages (11th Century if I recall correctly ...
> >
> > I seem to remember that one recorded Crimean Gothic word is {ada}
> > = "egg". The `d' in it looks specifically Gothic, unless the word
can
> > be traced to some non-Germanic language.
>
> There are a few posts on this subject in the Gothic-l archives. You
can
> search on the web page for them. I don't recall the number now.
>

> > P.S. Who is in charge of gutiska at egroups.com? Its information page
> > doesn't seem to say. Giuseppe Pagliarulo / Josef Strawarila sent
its
> > first message in, but is he that list's controller?
>

> I also started that list, but might be willing to delegate
responsibility.

> Matþaius

eLerts