[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Remigrator from the Black Sea Area?

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Oct 31 14:23:46 UTC 2000

Yes, trade should be the first interpretation to explore. Trade links
between southern Sweden and the Black Sea area are likely to have been
 well established at this time, considering that it were probably
these 'riches' which the Goths saw coming from the Black Sea that
might have attracted them to migrate their in the first place. I once
mentioned to you (offline) the 5th -7th century Phalheim cemetary in
Southern Germany, which contained many horemen graves (Reitergraeber)
with Byzantine and East Germanic ornaments. For some 100 years people
liked  to see in them an Erulic mercenary group stationed their
against the Alamani by the Franks. This interpretation has recently
been changed in favour of a trade/booty option. Wolfgang Menghin
showed that the horseman are in fact noble Alamani, who had aquired
East Germanic ornaments by trade and/or service in Italy.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

> Dirk,
>
> Don't think there would be any remains
> after 1700 years of a baseball cap or
> a chewing gum.
>
> Anyway, the main artifact from the Black
> Sea area is a silver cup. It can of course
> also have came to Scania via trading links
> between southern Sweden and the Goths in that
> area. More details will hopefully be known
> soon.
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>

> > If we found a skeleton with a baseball cap and shewing gum in a
grave
> > in England, would you interpret this as a 'remigrator from the
USA'?
> > More likely an English New York Yankee fan, no?. --just kidding!
That
> > is very exiting and please keep us informed about the grave find.

eGroups eLerts