[gothic-l] problems with evolution of Gothic vowel system

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Fri Sep 1 19:49:12 UTC 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 jdm314 at aol.com wrote:

> This is true, but note that protogermanic e normally becomes i in gothic,
> which I'm assuming is what Vito was getting at. However, before r, h, or hw
> short i and o become ai' and au' instead of i and u. Note that r doesn't
> exactly form a natural class with h and hw, which has lead some people to
> suggest that the r might have been particularly throaty as in, say, modern
> high german. This is a cool theory, but hardly conclusive.

The french "r" is a modern invent from French, the R was a hard
R in all indo.. languages. The h stuff , like rhinocerons, suggest
an even harder r. BTW, indoeuropean was fond of sibilants (s, sh,
dzh) and liquids (r, l,ll), Celtic conserved these characteristics
more than any other else.

They care for a language with a hard melody, because they were
all time making war each other ?? (theory of mine).

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  QOTD: "I used to be lost in the shuffle, now I just shuffle along with the lost."