[gothic-l] Proto Germanic Vowels

David Salo dsalo at SOFTHOME.NET
Sat Sep 2 01:35:23 UTC 2000

Find out Anything about Anyone!
NET DETECTIVE 2000
Use the internet to investigate anyone!

>    Now what can you tell me about æ:? Where does it come from, and what does
>it do in other languages?

  æ: (not necessarily phonetically [æ:]) is reconstructed for that vowel
which is a: in West and North Germanic, and e: in Gothic.  That is, in
fact, almost all of the e:'s in Gothic (cf. mena "moon" with ON máni
"moon"), and reflects PIE *e: (cf. Greek mên "month").

  There remain, however, a few extra e:'s in Gothic which correspond to e:
in West and North Germanic; cf. Gothic her "here" and OE & ON hér.  I do
not know what the PIE origin of this vowel is, but it is in any case
extraordinarily rare.

/\     WISTR LAG WIGS RAIHTS
\/            WRAIQS NU IST                               <> David Salo
<dsalo at softhome.net> <>