Date accounting [ Was :Re: [gothic-l] Proto Germanic Vowels]

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Sat Sep 2 10:50:59 UTC 2000

Find out Anything about Anyone!
NET DETECTIVE 2000
Use the internet to investigate anyone!

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, David Salo wrote:
>   æ: (not necessarily phonetically [æ:]) is reconstructed for that vowel
> which is a: in West and North Germanic, and e: in Gothic.  That is, in
> fact, almost all of the e:'s in Gothic (cf. mena "moon" with ON máni
> "moon"), and reflects PIE *e: (cf. Greek mên "month").

This reminds me the germanic system of year, with 10 months and
some days to fill the year. System used by Tolkien for their fiction
books.

Are there traces of this system in gothic language?

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Bing's Rule: Don't try to stem the tide -- move the beach.