[gothic-l] dipthongs

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 6 16:27:13 UTC 2000

Click for more information on how eGroups members save with beMANY!

<< Are there the same number of Gothic dipthongs as there are dipthongs in Old
English or even Latin or Greek.>>

No. Gothic has somewhere between 0 and 3 diphthongs in native words depending
on whom you ask and what phase the moon is in, (In other words, the evidence
varies): a'i, a'u, and iu.
    Note that we are not discussing ai' or ai here, just the combinations
with the accent on the first letter. The other ones were fairly
uncontrovercially open midvowels; they come from proto-germanic i and u
before r, h, or hw, and from short e and o in loanwords. A'i and a'u (that
is, ái and áu if you have a fancy email reader that can handle accents) come
from proto-germanic ai and au, so may be genuine diphthongs. But Ulphilas
chose to write them and the open-midvowels in the same manner, so many
believe that they were in fact just longer versions of the midvowels. I
myself prefer to read Gothic this way.
    On the other hand, Greco-Latin transcriptions of Gothic names and phrases
sometimes seem to indicate a diphthong there, so some prefer to believe that
they represented diphthongs. It seems probably though that if they are
diphthongs that they are not actually [ai] and [au] though, but perhaps
somthing more like [Ei] and [Ou] (i.e. Ulphilas might have written aij and
auw instead)
    As for iu, it was almost certainly pronounced [iw], but I think we
occasionally find evidence that it was pronounced like a German umlaut-u,
[y].
    (Keep in mind that it is possible that these were all at one point
diphthongs and  ended up as smooth vowels later, and of course in loanwords
you will see such oddities as <aiw> for Greek <eu>)

    While Latin has only two frequently occuring diphthongs: ae and au, you
will occasionally see several others, especially (but not exclusively) in
loanwords: oe, ei, ui, and eu.
    Classical Greek had the following diphthongs (note that u is actually [y]
in these) ai, au, oi, eu, and in some stages of the language ou and ei too
(those however smoothed into single vowels relatively early)
    Old English seems to have had a ton of diphthongs, but then I'm not an
expert. Let's see... ea, e:a, eo, e:o, ie, i:e... is that right? Modern
English of course has kept the tradition of overstockign the diphtongs, but
they're not the same ones as in OE.

-IUSTEINUS