[gothic-l] A question for Manuel

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Wed Sep 6 19:01:24 UTC 2000

eLerts

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Axeage  wrote:

> Do you know if any Suebian words entered the Galician vocabulary?

I imagine that many. As Portuguese is no more than Galician
on steroids, you can track them if you find a Portuguese dictionary
in Internet. Galicia was poorly romanized, and Suebish government
(two century) happened . And arabs didn't settle in Galicia.

As you know g- and s- are good places to look after (in the
dictionary). Besides
you can try an Institutional website of Galicia. Now , I remember
it, there's a Spanish dialect from Asturias, they call it "Bable",
it's spoken by peasants, that's a good place to search for Gothic
words. Now, that everybody here is searching for his very own
history, Institutional/nationalistic sites may render some benefits.

Although , in the beginning when Portugal didn't exist, Galicia
was depending from the Asturias Kingdom, which were somewhat
gothic affected.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  Lie, n.: A very poor substitute for the truth, but the only one discovered to date.