[gothic-l] Re: Goths in Ancient India and further East

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Sun Sep 10 21:41:15 UTC 2000

Apply NOW!

> Bertil Häggman wrote:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> > There might be a case for Goti or Eruli having
> > moved even further than India.
> >
> > Han Shu, the eminent Chines author in Chapter 96,
> > Section B. Line 1A, the commentary, states:
> >
> > "Yen Shih-ku says, the physical features of the Wu-sun
> > are most outstanding among the people of the Western
> > region. The Hu people of today who have blue eyes and red
> > beard, and are as hairy as apes trace their origin to
> > this people."

The Wu-sun are mentioned in Chinese documents as early as the 2nd
century BC during the rule of the Emperor Wu Ti. Zhang-qian, an
adventurer and superintendent of the imperial bodyguard, came into
contact with them during an expedition to the western parts of the
empire and describes them as a vassal state of the Xiung-nu (usually
identified with the Huns).  The date of these accounts would, I
think, effectively rule out any identification with the Goths who at
this time would have still been in southern Scandinavia.

Brian