[gothic-l] The Cult Alliance, was Gothic versus other Germanic languages

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba irmina at CTV.ES
Wed Sep 13 17:56:53 UTC 2000

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, sunburst wrote:
> >Gaut is an Odinistic
> >God but Gaut is more based on fertility, the creator,
> >the provider of semen and can also be connected
> >to the Mannus myth.
> >
> >The warrior initiated is in both the Gautic and the
> >Odinistic cult symbolically killed and part of an army where
> >also the dead belong and contribute in battle.
>

> These are interesting ideas I have not heard of before.  What are your
> sources on Gaut being associated with fertility, and the Mannus myth?  Also,
> where are you getting your information about the cult of Gaut?

Well, a rather interesting book, a "must" indeed is "The White
Goddess" by Robert Graves. Anyone intending to understand European
culture of the last 3 millenia must read it.

Well, that book explains thousands of things, but among them
there's a parallelism :

- Bacus/Dyonisios --- Odin --- Gwydion ( Celtish Odin)

There's a common point between the three of them, all them
are hung in trees, and they die, but they come to life again.
In all three cultures there was the costume of hanging things
(oscullum in Latin--> oscilare) for worshiping the God.

But, it seems that the idea of resurrection is provided by
the White Goddess ( the old Goddess of Europe), so that Goddess
kills them and let them live again, under certain conditions.

So, somewhat old Indoeuropean gods were affected by that White
Goddess. In India, there's the Kali Goddess which resembles to
the White Goddess.

The book contains lots of linguistic, historical, mythical data.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html   /texpython.htm
/pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm ICQ:77697936 (sirve el ICQ para algo?)

  flannister, n.: The plastic yoke that holds a six-pack of beer together. -- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends