[gothic-l] Goths in India, again.

M. mcarver at CSULB.EDU
Thu Sep 14 06:07:50 UTC 2000

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!

Hails

Irila is found in Koebler's Gotisches Woerterbuch in Appendix 3 on page 693:

"Irila, got. ?, PN: Q.: Fiebiger II, Nr. 32"

Which seems to mean, "'Irila', of dubiously Gothic origin, is a proper noun.
The information comes from Fiebiger II, number 32 (i.e. Fiebiger, o.,
Inschriftensammlung zur Geschichte der Ostgermanen, 1917, 1939, 1944."

Not very elucidating. Yet since Koebler tends to attempt translation of most
names, or at least point to their root, even in the most spurious cases,
this one is left unidentified. Neither is the name nor any similar form or
designated root found in the main part of the dictionary. Perhaps the
bibliographic reference will prove helpful.

Matthaius