[gothic-l] Goths in the East

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Sep 16 06:58:02 UTC 2000

Need a credit card?
Instant Approval and 0% intro APR with Aria!

On the Goths in the realm of the Rus
may I offer the following chronology with
the suggestion that Rus was actually
the Second Great Gothic Kingdom in the
East:

Around BC

The Goths arrive at the Weichsel delta
and settle in today's Poland

150 - 350 AD

The Goths pass through Poland (maybe
Belarus), Ukraine to the Black Sea.
They arrive at the Black Sea at the
beginning of the 3rd century AD.

The Slavic name form for the Goths
is starting to form from the Proto-Slavic
stems *rusu and *rudu (red). *Rusi and
*Rudi thus meaning 'the Red-Blond (People)'.

450 AD

By now *Rus' and *Rud' (a collective noun
in the feminine singular formed in analogy to other
ethnic names) is common among the Slavs
for the Goths.

Ca. 400 - 600 AD

The Goths, who remained in Russia-Ukraine accept
the Slavic name for themselves. They render it
Rauths in their own language (compare Finnish
Ruotsi = Sweden).

Ca. 600 - 800 AD

The Greeks in the south and the Finno-Ugric peoples
in the north borrow the Gothic form of the ethnic which
results in Rhos (Greek) and Roots (Estonian) for Sweden.
The Arabs, however, borrow the Slavic form (Ar-Rus).

500 BC the Goths were still in Goetaland and on Gotland.

Gothically

Bertil

 No, we cannot agree on Goths around the