[gothic-l] Re: (me again!) Crimean Gothic....

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Sep 27 08:36:03 UTC 2000

Hi, I cannot speak about the linguistics, but if you read Vasilev on
the Goths in the Crimea, this should lead anyone to treat the few
Crimean Gothic words that there are with great suspicion. Vasilev
pointed out that the notes of the Dutch ambassador are not reliable
and that it is possible that the Goths that he meant were in reality
either Jews who lived there in considerable numbers and who spoke
yiddish or Germans, brought there as slaves from East Prussia by the
Tatars. Vasilev seem to think that any Gothic awarness or language
died out in the Crimean in about the 12th century after having been
throroughly hellenised and later tatarised. He helds that it was only
the Christian religion which may have identified the decendents of
the
Goths. Thus, when in 1778 a number of tatar-speaking Christians
resettled to Russia, Vasilev said that they may have had a drop of
Gothic blood in their veins. I think Vasilev's propositions are
likely
 and that they must be borne in mind before making any linguistic
comparisons.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Vito Evola" <vito.evola at l...> wrote:
> From a linguistic point of view, what is the difference between old
> gothic and crimean?
>
> vito (weito)

Tired of searching for an apartment?  Try Viva!  It's fast and free.
Now serving Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas.
Rent by September 30th - get $100 cash!