[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Sep 27 14:14:51 UTC 2000

thanks for the comment. I find the linguistic evidence for a North
Jutland origin of the Vandals not convincing, many places can
problably be identified with a Vend or Vand component. Also, I think
that some scholars believe that the name Vandals was adopted somewhat
later after the Vandals had emerged from Celtic Lugian domination in
Silesia, but  I am not certain about that.

Der Spiegel is the major weekly magazine in Germany. It may have had
its problems when rushing too fast into a hot topic (e.g. Hitler
diaries), but it is one of the most serious and best magazines in
Europe. As for  the details, I would have to look that up. I still
have the article and I am sure they are citing and Interviewing some
of the leading scholars in the field. I find the arguments presented
there particularly convincing because peoples, cultures, nations etc.
do normally emerge in relation to another group. Identity is (almost)
always defined 'against' somebody. In the Harz/Thuringian region a
proto-Germanic culture would have interacted with neibouring Celts,
while in culturally, commercially and geographically remote
Scandinavia at the margins of Europe such a process is practically
unthinkable. There can be little doubt that the Germanic cultural
group formed at the interface to the Celts with no clear dividing
line
. This place almost has to be the described Harz/Thuringian region of
Germany.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> The latest scholar is Dane Jes Martens
> with a great number of other scholars.
> The arguments put forward are both
> archaelogical and linguistical (Vend-
> syssel is the nortnmost part of Jutland;
> Vend = Vand).
>
> What article do you refer to in the
> not very reliable German newsmagazine
> Der Spiegel? Which scholars? What
> new research?
>
> short question, which source places
> the Vandals to North Jutland? I
> have never heard of any other
> 'starting' place for the Vandals than
> the Weichsel/Silesia region, with
> the name Silesia derived from
> Silingi a Vandal sub-tribe.
>
> > This raises the overall question of origin in general. The latest
> > research on the Germanic people and culture (summarised in a
Spiegel
> > article, exact reference can be supplied) helds that all Germanic
> > people (i.e. the Germanic culture) originate from the German
> > Harz mountain/Thuringia region. There are recent discoveries of
> > proto-Germanic settlements and the famous proto-Germanic
sacrificial
> > cave near Osterode. Also, linguistic studies of place names (such
> > as: 'leben, hude, buettel', etc. for settlements or 'riede, beke'
etc
> > for small streams etc.) find the greatest diversity of Germanic
place
> > names in that region. Thus there is a greater diversity of
Germanic
> > place names in that region than in any other Germanic settlement
> > area.
> >   From that region the Germanic people spread out also to
Skandinavia
> > only to reemerge a few centuries with different tribal names. So
any
> > origin theory only provides a snap-shot of a certain group of
people
> > that are known historically by a certain name or archeologically
> > attributed to a certin cultural group at a certain point in time.
> >
> > Dirk
> >

> > --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...>
wrote:
> > > As usual David Salo has not the slightest
> > > proof for his beliefs.
> > >
> > > Prokopius mentions the Goetar, and it is possible
> > > that Ptolemaios mentions this South Scandinavian
> > > people as Goutai, which probably at the time was
> > > pronounced Gotae.
> > >
> > > In Liber Monstrorum (8th century AD) Huiglacus is
> > > called "Rex Getarum". There was a mix up between
> > > Gotae and Getae in Eastern Europe but there
> > > can be no question of that in relation to the Frisian-
> > > Francian tradition, the Getae (Geats) are the Goetar
> > > (Gautar).
> > >
> > > So the first of the Goetar to be mentioned is King Hugilaik.
> > > One needs to go to verse 2200 in Beowulf to read about
> > > the historically proven struggle (around 510 AD?) between
> > > the Svear and the Goetar, which resulted, eventually, much
> > > later in the Svear gaining the upper hand.
> > >
> > > In Beowulf there is mention of wars to be expected by the
> > > Geats, and these wars did take place.
> > >
> > > As has been pointed out numerous times on this list the Goths
> > > themselves believed they originated in Southern
> > > Scandinavia. Why should the Goths believe the
> > > originated from the pagan North when they could easily
> > > claim much more famous ancestry if this was not
> > > the truth?
> > >
> > > Then there is the fact of the linguistical similarity between
> > > Goetar/Gautar, Gutar (from the island of Gotland), Goths
> > > (lat. Goti).
> > >
> > > David Salo also seems to believe that geographical distance
> > > is of importance. We know from the history of the Era of
> > > Great Migration that Germanic tribes migrated very long
distances.
> > > For instance the Vandals from North Jutland ended up in North
> > > Africa and the early migration of the Cimbri from Jutlandic
> > > Himmerland is an example of several Germanic tribes migrating
> > > over very long distances.
> > >
> > > Gothically
> > >
> > > Bertil Haggman

Gautar
> > that there
> > any other
> > Goths with
> > to be the
> > was
521.

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> > Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

Tired of searching for an apartment?  Try Viva!  It's fast and free.
Now serving Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas.
Rent by September 30th - get $100 cash!