[gothic-l] Gothic identity

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Sep 29 10:30:18 UTC 2000

One question; would the Goths of the 3rd century have had any sense
of
a common germanic identity which linked them to tribes outside the
Gothic confederation such as Franks or Alamanns. I think Wolfram uses
numismatic evidence to suggest that the Goths did not see a common
Germanic link. Also, Wolfram writes that the Romans regarded the
Goths more as Scythian stepp people and did not link them to the
Germans at all. Coins by Emperors Claudius Gothicus and Tacitus
refere
to Victory over the Goths (Victoria Gothic and Victoria Gotti)
instead
of the commonly used inscription Victoria Germanica. Thus, on their
coins the Romans identified Germans, Goths, Sarmati, Carpi and others
in the 3rd century, but did seem to have felt that Goths and Germanic
people are something different. However, I am not sure about this
evidence, from the early 4th century the names of Alamanni and Franci
appear on Roman coins and in the 2nd century a rare Roman sestertius
mentions the Quadi to commemmorate the installation of a Quadic King
by the Romans. Is there any other evidence about Gothic identity and
Roman perception of the Goths?

Thanks

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
2. Get rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR with NO annual fee!