[gothic-l] Re: The Scandinavian Origin of the Goths and Other Germanic Peoples

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Sep 29 10:55:21 UTC 2000

That is entirely possible....Do you know from when the earliest
archeaological finds that can clearly be linked to a Germanic culture
date, this should give some indication about the course of
events....the sacrificial caves near Osterrode (Harz) have apparently
recently been dated to at leat 1200 BC and attributed to the
so-called
 Germanisch Thueringische Unstrutgruppe....

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Anthony Appleyard" <MCLSSAA2 at f...>
wrote:
> From: dirk at s... wrote:-
> > ... but it is more likely that proto-Germans moved to
> > Scandinavia (before Gothic and other tribal identities were
formed). ...

> Or the speakers of the ancestor of the Common Germanic language did
so.
> Likeliest, a branch of the speakers of the Common Indo-European
language,
> spreading gradually from their original home on the steppes of
south
Russia,
> invaded the south of Scandinavia and became its ruling class, very
many
> centuries BC. Over a few centuries they imposed their language and
suppressed
> whatever language the natives spoke before.
>
> Those natives would themselves have had to come in from outside, a
long time
> before that, when or after the first Homo sapiens came to the area.
The
> characteristic features of Nordic peoples would have evolved in the
area:-
>   I saw an experiment on TV once that showed that blue eyes see
better in
> faint light and brown eyes see better in glare.
>   People need Vitamin D to avoid rickets. The body can make its
own,
but one
> stage needs ultraviolet light. Thus the skin had to evolve as pale
as possible
> to let enough sun through it despite clouds and clothes and dull
weather.
> In hotter sunnier lands further south, such things did not keep the
sun off
> the skin so much.

Restaurants & Movies, Local Weather and Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone.  For more info visit: